Product Development | Full Time | St. Gallen, Switzerland
What's the weather like tomorrow? 🌦️
How much energy will my solar power plant generate this week? Is this flight path safe and efficient? Will there be enough rain to water my crops? As the weather affects many industries' performance, businesses keep a close eye on what's happening in the skies.
At Meteomatics, we're a team of experts who deliver the most accurate weather data to over 400 companies and research institutions worldwide, helping them accelerate the energy transition, reduce the business’ impact on the environment, and make products and services safer for society.
Meteomatics is growing faster than you can say lightning! And we're now looking for a new NWP/Weather data assimilation Expert to join us in St. Gallen! ⚡
You will work in our Weather modelling Team, and will improve our high resolution NWP forecasts, which are computed on extremely powerful HPC, making use of our very versatile weather data API.
- Operation of high-resolution WRF models like EURO1K on HPC
- Developing data assimilation capabilities for EURO1K and other Meteomatics high resolution WRF models
- Assimilation of observation data (weather radar and satellite data) using 3dVAR/EnKF/Nudging techniques
- Assimilation of our Meteodrone systems’ data
- Wish to pioneer and fundamentally change the way weather forecasting is done
- Excellent knowledge of numerical weather prediction and data assimilation concepts
- Enjoy working in a team
- Solid experience with operational WRF setups/configurations
- Experience with Fortran is important
- Good knowledge in Linux, bash and Python
- Experience with NWP data assimilation packages like WRFDA/GSI favorable
- Practical knowledge with radar and satellite assimilation would be an advantage
- C++ and object-oriented programming knowledge are favorable
What we offer
International environment: we come from all over the globe and have very different backgrounds
Hybrid work: we love meeting our colleagues at the office, but we also know how good it is to work from home when we feel more introspective. You can choose!
Fun: our HR team is keen on organizing social activities. Join us for barbecues at the terrace, ski day on the Swiss mountains, summer off-site events, after-work games…
5 vacation weeks: we work better when we're well-rested!
Meteomatics is a world-leading weather and climate data provider, passionate about transforming and growing the application of weather information globally. We want people who share our mission to help organizations accelerate the energy transition and protect lives and property by accessing accurate weather forecasts.
As part of the team, you will help Meteomatics and our diverse customer base from multiple industries gain weather insights across a wide range of use cases across the globe.
We're looking forward to your application!
To learn more about Meteomatics, please visit our website: www.meteomatics.com